How to use Raspberrypi VPN server to wake up other computer

Problem

I need to be able to power-on my Theatre PC remotely and securely over my VPN at home.

Solution

I have already an OpenVPN server installed on Raspberrypi so I just need to install wakeonlan command on Raspbian via the following command:

sudo apt install wakeonlan


and use the following command to wake up any computer:

wakeonlan TheMacAddressOfTheComputerToWakeUp

However I'd also like to create a command-shortcut for wakeonlan-theater-pc so I can edit the hidden  .bashrc file using the nano editor via the following command:

nano .bashrc

and scroll to the bottom of the file then type the following alias followed by Ctrl-X to exit and save the changes.

alias wakeonlan-theatre-pc='wakeonlan TheMacAddressOfTheComputerToWakeUp'



Finish... all good and it should wake up my computer when I type on the terminal:

wakeonlan-theatre-pc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to search Active Directory group members using Windows 10 built-in tools

How to check and reload PAC (Proxy Auto Configuration) file on Windows